Wednesday, February 2, 2011

snow day = free day to work on history

Hello all! I've taken this lovely snow day I was gifted due to "Snowpocalypse 2011" to work on some of my genealogy, so I figured writing my first ever blog entry would be a good way to finish off this "work" day.  I started delving into my family history more passionately after watching the first season of NBC's Who Do You Think You Are?  My grandfather on my dad's side had worked on a family tree when I was younger, but after he passed away it remained untouched in a file cabinet.  I decided that I wanted to know more about where my grandfather's family had come from so I took that family tree and brought it home.  Now I'm an obsessively compulsively organized person and I needed a better way to keep track of my family tree. I searched Google endlessly to find some family tree builder that would keep me organized. What I originally started using was the download-able builder from My Heritage, I also now keep my tree organized on Ancestry.com but that's a later story.

What started as wanting to find out more about my paternal grandfather's family slowly turned into a massive undertaking.  I now have a binder for each branch of my family tree: paternal & maternal grandparents on my dad's side, as well as paternal & maternal grandparents on my mom's side.  I'm hoping to find interesting things out about all of my families' heritages and be able to share these findings with my family now, as well as my future children and grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment